Published: Mon, May 14, 2018
Global Media | By Derrick Guzman

Nine killed after militants storm Afghan government building

Nine killed after militants storm Afghan government building

Afghan security forces battled for hours against a group of attackers who stormed a government building in the eastern city of Jalalabad on Sunday after a co-ordinated assault that killed at least 15 people and wounded 42, local officials said.

Attahullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said a suicide vehicle bomb exploded outside the building, which belongs to the provincial finance directorate.

According to Khogyani, at least six ten people, including civilians, workers of the Customs Department, and security personnel lost their lives in the attack.

Afghan security forces keep watch during blasts and a gun battle in Jalalabad, Afghanistan on May 13, 2018. He later said the heavily-armed attackers were also carrying grenades.


Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures.

Earlier, he said there had been two explosions.

The attack began when one attacker blew himself up at the gate of the building in the centre of the city, allowing the gunmen to enter, Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council, told Reuters.

There has been no immediate claim of responsibility.


But the Islamic State group has also stepped up attacks in recent months, particularly in Kabul.

However, the Taliban is now taking part in its annual spring offensive and has launched a number of attacks in recent weeks. Most have been in the capital Kabul.

Kabul has become one of the deadliest places in the country for civilians as security forces struggle to keep the militants at bay following the withdrawal of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat forces at the end of 2014.


Like this: