Published: Mon, July 09, 2018
Global Media | By Derrick Guzman

North Korea blasts 'regrettable' U.S. 'attitude and 'robber-like' demands

North Korea blasts 'regrettable' U.S. 'attitude and 'robber-like' demands

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday brushed aside North Korea's accusation of "gangster-like" demands, maintaining that his third visit to the country was producing results but vowing that sanctions would remain until Pyongyang follows through on leader Kim Jong Un's pledge to get rid of his nuclear weapons.

Kyodo News reported that a team of North Korean diplomats had been sent to Geneva, Bern and Davos to look at conference halls and hotels as potential venues for its denuclearization talks with the United States.

In Tokyo, Pompeo briefed his Japanese and South Korean counterparts on the talks, and sought to reassure them that the dialogue with North Korea would continue.

"Some places a great deal of progress, other places there's still more work to be done", said Pompeo, according to a pool report from usa reporters who accompanied him to Pyongyang. "Some places a great deal of progress, other places there's still more work to be done".

He said the two sides spent good time discussing denuclearisation timeline and the North's nuclear and missile facilities.

She wouldn't characterize Friday's discussions beyond saying they addressed denuclearization and the repatriation of American remains, saying, "We expect them to live up to their commitments".


"Nothing could be further from the truth", State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in response.

Unlike his previous visits, which have been one-day affairs during which he has met with Kim Jong Un, Pompeo spent the night at a government guesthouse in Pyongyang and did not see the North Korean leader, although USA officials had suggested such a meeting was expected.

"The U.S. just came out with such unilateral and robber-like denuclearization demands as [complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization], declaration and verification that go against the spirit of the North-U.S. summit meeting".

Pompeo, who has now made three visits to Pyongyang, began the outreach when he was still Trump's Central Intelligence Agency director and remained the pointman on negotiations after the process became public and he became secretary of state.

Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, said on Twitter there was a danger military action could be called for because Trump might now claim he had tried diplomacy but was betrayed by Kim.

According to USA media reports, Pompeo did not meet Kim during the visit, unlike his previous trips during which he had met with the DPRK's top leader.


'Our expectations and hopes were so naive it could be called foolish'. Pompeo spoke with Trump, Bolton and White House chief of staff John Kelly on Saturday before his second round of meetings with Kim Yong Chol.

Chosun Ilbo's report was widely shared - perhaps in part because it suggested a lighthearted side to tense denuclearization talks between the United States and North Korea. Trump has declared on Twitter that North Korea no longer poses a nuclear threat.

North Korean and USA officials held a second day of meetings in Pyongyang on Saturday, with both sides saying there several key issues they need to "clarify". "We're in a fight with China", he said.

The North Korean statement contradicted remarks made by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who said just hours after departing North Korea that the two countries had made progress on several key issues. "I am determined to achieve the commitment that President Trump made and I am counting on Chairman Kim to be determined to follow through on the commitment that he made", Pompeo said.

Pompeo said the two sides agreed to hold discussions on July 12 on the repatriation of remains of Americans killed in the 1950-53 Korean War, and also discussed "modalities" for the destruction of a missile engine testing facility.

Pompeo said more talks were needed on both.


Like this: