Published: Wed, August 01, 2018
Global Media | By Derrick Guzman

MDC supporters erupt in Harare, as Biti claims assasination attempts

MDC supporters erupt in Harare, as Biti claims assasination attempts

Opposition supporters in the capital, Harare, threw rocks and denounced the government, tearing down a billboard with an image of Mnangagwa and his campaign slogan: "The voice of the people is the voice of God".

A Zwnews reporter saw dead people lying near Mbuya Nehanda Street. Soldiers shooting to kill, fleeing civilians.

The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (Zec) on Tuesday released a few results favouring Zanu-PF and then went silent amid mounting pressure from the opposition MDC Alliance to announce the full results that it said would show its leader 40-year-old Nelson Chamisa had won the election.

There is a growing level of anxiety in the country as many were hopeful that MDC Alliance Presidential candidate would win the contest.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Zimbabwe's political leaders and people to exercise restraint and reject any form of violence.

Zimbabwe police Wednesday fired water cannon and teargas at opposition supporters outside the electoral results headquarters in Harare, an AFP correspondent witnessed, as tensions erupted over alleged fraud in the election.

Zimbabwe has a three-tier election system; local authority, parliamentary and presidential.

The MDC Alliance said the ruling Zanu-PF party was attempting to rig the vote to allow President Mnangagwa to win, and the delay in releasing official results was unacceptable.

Supporters of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change party react as they block a street in Harare, Zimbabwe.

The EU mission said it found an "improved political climate, but (an) un-level playing field" after Zimbabwe's first polls since the military ousted longtime ruler Robert Mugabe past year.

"The results are biased, trying to give the impression that ZANU has won", said Lawrence Maguranyi, 21, an MDC supporter and university student.

It said the election was largely peaceful in a break from the past but wondered why presidential votes were counted first but were being announced last.

He tweeted: "We won the popular vote & will defend it!"

He has accused the commission of releasing the parliamentary results first to prepare Zimbabweans for a Emmerson Mnangagwa victory.

European Union observer Elmar Brok said; "The longer it (the delay in announcing the results of the presidential race), the more the issue of lack of credibility arises".

The Southern African Development Community says Zimbabweans had the "opportunity to exercise their constitutional right", and applauds the government for allowing more global observers for Monday's vote.

The clashes followed an announcement that the ZANU PF had obtained the critical two-thirds majority in parliament.

"We are working flat-out", commission chairwoman Priscilla Chigumba told journalists in the capital.

Mnangagwa, Mugabe's former right-hand man, was the clear election front-runner, benefiting from tacit military support and control of state resources.

Chamisa accused ZANU-PF of trying to steal the election.

Officers had been facing off through a locked gate against protesters who brandished opposition party banners, lit fires and chanted slogans against the ruling ZANU-PF party.

Like this: