Published: Wed, October 03, 2018
Tech | By Tabitha Holland

Nationwide Emergency Alert Test Set for Wednesday

Nationwide Emergency Alert Test Set for Wednesday

The FCC and FEMA will conduct a test of the Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) and Emergency Alert System (EAS) systems on october 3 at 1:18 PM CDT, 12:18 PM MDT.

Americans nationwide will receive an alert on their cellphones from President Donald Trump for the first time ever Wednesday. "No action is needed", officials said. Cellular towers will broadcast the alert for about 30 minutes. Users can not opt out of the presidential alert test.

More than 100 mobile carriers, including all the major wireless firms, are participating in the roll out, FEMA stated in a message on its website posted Thursday.

In a legitimate emergency, an alert would be issued at the president's direction or by someone he chooses, and then activated by FEMA, the agency said.

The WEA is in addition to the Emergency Alert System, or EAS, which has been utilized for decades via broacast outlets.


"Users can not opt out of receiving the (Wireless Emergency Alert) test", notes FEMA.

A similar wireless emergency alert text message has been sent to all cell phones nationwide.

There are three types of messages sent by WEA.

If you get a unusual notification on your phone or television Wednesday afternoon, you do not need to be alarmed.

Though the Presidential alert system was established in 2006, this is its first nationwide test.


A second alert on television broadcasts and radio will go off at 2:20 p.m. EDT.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it'll sound like an Amber Alert or flood warning.

If this had been an actual emergency alert, an official message would have followed the alert tone you heard at the start of this message.

Officials from FEMA and the Federal Communications Commission said that in previous local tests, the message was successfully received by about 75% of phones. "No action is required".

A similar but slightly longer test message will be sent over television and radio stations two minutes later. The suit states the plaintiffs are Americans "who do not wish to receive text messages of any kind on any topic or subject from President Trump".


That 3 out of 4 phones will likely get the warning is a reflection of our always-on, technologically connected times.

Like this: