Published: Thu, October 04, 2018
Medical | By Vernon Walton

NJ Surfer Dies From Rare, "Brain-Eating Amoeba"

NJ Surfer Dies From Rare,

Frabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, New Jersey, died on September 21, days after visiting BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas.

Stabile was mowing his lawn on September 16, when he experienced a severe headache and went to lie down, family friend Stephanie Papastephanou wrote on GoFundMe.

Stabile, whose family said he was an avid outdoorsman who loved to surf, had been at the park on vacation.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC. They ask that people make donations to Swim Above Water Amoeba Awareness Foundation, an organization aimed at raising awareness of Naegleria fowleri, in lieu of flowers.

The agency adds, people can get infected if the water enters through their nose.


"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", Parsons said in a statement. Initial symptoms typically in include headache, fever, nausea or vomiting.

The infection triggered by the amoeba has only been diagnosed 143 times in the U.S. during the past 55 years and has a 98 percent fatality rate, the CDC said.

Parsons said Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

The "heat-loving" amoeba is most commonly found in soil and warm fresh water, including lakes rivers and hot springs.

According to the Associated Press, Fabrizio Stabile had visited BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort soon before his death.


The "heat-loving" amoeba causes PAM, or primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare and almost always fatal disease of the central nervous system, according to the CDC.

Between 1962 and 2017, there have been 143 known infected individuals reported in the United States - 139 have died, and four have survived.

A person can be contaminated with the amoeba while swimming or diving.

'We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'. It can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

The BSR pool has voluntarily closed its facilities so that a small CDC team can collect samples for testing.


Like this: